Since the late Middle Ages Jewish families have been living in Stadthagen. About 1700 Rabbi Joseph Stadthagen who was famous beyond the national frontiers worked here. But only in 1858 the Jewish Community succeeded in building a synagoge of their own behind the house in Niedernstraße number 19. It was inaugurated on 5th May 1858 with a sermon of Rabbi Dr. Hermann Joel.

In the night of 11th to 12th November 1938 National Socialists set a fire inside the Synagoge which was immediately put out because of the danger for the neighbouring half-timbered houses. 30 Jewish people could escape by emigration. Since 1941 24 persons, among them children and young people, were deported to several concentration camps and killed there. Only one woman survived. The Synagoge had to be sold in 1942. After the war it was used as a store.


The sponsorship "Ehemalige Synagoge Stadthagen" was founded on 18th November 2008. Among the first members were the Heads of the Jewish communities in Bückeburg and Bad Nenndorf, representatives of Christian churches, of the Turkish-Islamic Culture Society and teachers from most of the local schools. The sponsorship is acknowledged as a non- profit- making and charitable society. The main programme means the reconstruction of the Synagoge with many citizens being involved.

The Synagoge is meant to be an open and lively project, a place where people like to go to. The ground floor can be used for events like concerts, readings or exhibitions. This is where the Menorah - the Jewish candlestick with 7 arms - will find its place, which was given to the Jewish community as a symbol for the return of the civil rights.

A newly arranged first floor will be used as a modern classroom for pupils from any kind of schools, also for youth projects. This means focus on not only the past but first of all the future - the following generations.

Do become a member! Donations are welcome!


Since at the beginning of 2007 a local artist had the idea of building a central Memorial for the Jewish victims in the district of Schaumburg, a lively public discussion was started. Conducted by the "Schaumburger Landschaft" (Schaumburg landscape) a project group was arranged who organized three big events in Stadthagen. Soon the old Synagoge became a central idea because it was no longer used as a store. Finally there was a general agreement for the Synagoge as a place for documentation, memory and learning about the NS-dictatorship and its victims in Schaumburg and also for the idea of a network of all existing memory places in the district. These suggestions were agreed in the local Council unanimously.


Übersetzung: Frau Maiwald, Bückeburg. Vielen Dank!